Is it ‘The Sierra’ or ‘The Sierras’? I found out the hard way

Posted on July 20, 2021 4:51 pm

Is it ‘The Sierra’ or ‘The Sierras’? I found out the hard way
foryou
foryou

When we flew over we called them the Sierra Nevada mountain range. When we would drive up to them we called them the Sierras… what’s not to understand?

I was stunned by the hostility that resulted from an errant ‘s’ slipping onto the end of Sierra. I simply wouldn’t have suspected a mountain range to have such a cranky following. Welcome to the internet. Humans are mean to begin with and ultra mean when they can do it anonymously. I am completely not surprised at some of the insults that were hurled on the mistake. The email with “what a joke” was more wrong than an accidental interpretation of a word. Those that were rude to her because they “hate tourists” were wrong too and suffer from projection,… Read more »

Null Void
Null Void
Reply to  Highrise

IMO she got a lot of flak because she wrote a long article with a lot of opinions and meandering. Also she chose her experts poorly, adding to her confusion.

Null Void
Null Void

She writes:’ “You do not need to follow the rules with which a foreign language, which is the source, treats something grammatically,” says Brians. “The French do horrific things with English when they import it.” ‘ That’s just the point; it’s the opposite. You honor the other by pronouncing the word in the other’s language. It’s respectful and educated. Otherwise you behave like a narcissist, a child, a dolt, or a controlling person. Imagine this guy Brians citing the French. The French are incredible language snobs, and they do it deliberately to embarrass and demean others. Americans don’t have enough gratitude… Read more »

This article inspires me to wonder how many angels can dance on the head of a pin? Pot-ay-to, pot-ah-to, let’s call the whole thing off. When I was a kid my family went on a camping trip to the “High Sierras.” Gasp! Had a great time anyway! Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Reply to  showandtell

….agreed. Some folks have way too much spare time.